Another week closer to naming another SB and Fantasy Champion is in the books. Some very unfortunate things happened this week. We had another tie caused by missed field goals and zero defense. Vikings, Browns, Rams, and Packers all had kickers highlight week 2, but not in a good way. Kicking cost the Browns their first win in two years. In the Packers/Vikings tie, Mason Crosby blew a chance at a win and the 23-year-old rookie for the Vikings, Daniel Carlson, went 0 for 3 including two in OT. He’s already in the unemployment line not even 24 hours later. If Rodgers knew this was going to be the outcome I am sure he would have preferred the night off. But he’s one of the fiercest competitors in the league, no way he’s missing a rivalry game. Moving to the South East, the Swag in Tampa Bay from the QB position is real, and it’s not Jameis Winston.
Jameis Winston has one game remaining on his 3 game suspension from the NFL. Nothing knew for Jameis. However, this time Ryan Fitzpatrick has the Buccs off to a 2-0 start and he is throwing up video game numbers throwing for over 400 yards in both games. Desean Jackson and Mike Evans are both heavily involved. Half the battle is keeping the ‘drama Queen’ big name Wide Receivers happy. Winston better get used to being a backup the rest of 2018. Fitz doesn’t look to be in a hurry to give up the job. I mean look at his post game interview borrowing Desean Jackson’s clothes. Head coach Dirk Koetter is already on the hot seat in Tampa. He doesn’t have a long enough leash to risk this team losing steam with a QB shakeup if he let Winston start week 4 when he returns from suspension. He has no choice but to let Fitzpatrick run with this hot streak.
Out in Arizona there has been no indication that McCoy and Sam Bradford are on the same page. Everyone in AZ except for new head coach Steve Wilkes believes it’s time for rookie and No. 10 overall pick, Josh Rosen. We understand the Rams defense is absolutely stacked. To not even break 100 yards and to look ‘clueless’ most of the time is a problem. Arizona has mustered just 6 points in two games this season. They only put up 6 points vs. the Redskins in Week 1 and a fat 0 against the Rams. Bradford has a 60% completion percentage and 243 yards in two games with zero TD’s. Future hall of fame Wide Receiver, Larry Fitzgerald deserves a better QB situation. The most loyal and well-liked player in AZ history needs a change. Bring in Rosen and let the kid go to work.
- Let’s focus on the positives in the Rams/Cardinals game. Todd Gurley is a monster inside the red zone. Although he didn’t have many yards, he found the end zone 3 times against division rivals. Brandin Cooks also had his ‘coming out’ party with his 159 receiving yards against all-pro Pat Peterson.
Jalen Ramsey called out all-world Tight End, Rob Gronkowski. Stating that he, “wasn’t impressed with Gronk.” Well, Jalen was right. At least for one weekend, Gronk was shut down. He had two catches for 15 yards in the loss to Jalen Ramsey and the Jaguars. It is very unlikely that Tom Brady gets shut down completely for a full 4 quarters. Holding the GOAT, Tom Brady, to 230 yards and 2 TD’s is a win for Ramseys ‘fearless’ Jaguars defense. They shut the Belichick/Brady dynasty down.
Josh Allen’s first career went pretty much as expected, he took some licks. The Chargers sacked Allen 5 times and intercepted him twice. The Chargers defense was awful against the run in 2017. So far this season they have faced Kareem Hunt who ran for 172 yards and 155 yards in the two games vs. the Bolts last year. The Chargers defense held him to 49 yards last week. This week they face Lesean McCoy who put up 114 yards rushing and 2 total TD’s against the Chargers in 2017. This Gus Bradley-led defense held him to 39 yards rushing.
- Melvin Gordon stole the show for the Bolts scoring 3 TDs, 2 in the air and 1 on the ground. Gordon and Ekeler are forming one of the scariest RB duo to lineup against.
- Former 1st round pick Mike Williams caught his 1st career TD reception over two defenders in the 1st quarter.
- Vontae Davis retired at halftime after being down 28-6. The Bills actually outscored the Chargers 14-3 in the second half. He literally called it quits at halftime, told coach Sean McDermott he was done. I’m not kidding, he literally retired at halftime. As you can see from his farewell to his fans…
For the second week in a row we have a tie. Aaron Rodgers miraculously came back from the locker room in Week 1 to lead an epic comeback. All week-long he was a question mark on playing this Sunday but he’s Aaron Rodgers and this is the Vikings. The game appeared to be over on a Packers interception but Clay Matthews was flagged for an awful roughing the passer penalty. This gave Cousins and the Vikings new life and they marched down the field scored a TD and a 2 pt-conversion. Then it got wacky. Mason Crosby missed a FG to win the game in regulation. Vikings kicker, Daniel Carlson, botched two FGs in OT causing this game to end in a tie. Daniel Carlson has been cut by the Vikings already and they have added Dan Bailey.
Since we’re on the topic of kickers, let’s keep it going. The Browns kicker Zane Gonzalez missed 2 Field Goals and 2 extra points. The Browns lost by THREE points. The Browns haven’t won a game in two seasons and their Kicker cost the team 8 points and they lose to future hall of fame QB Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints. Can you imagine if the Browns snapped their losing streak against the Saints? The citizens of OH would have gone bonkers. The best part about Zane Gonzalez missing these Field Goals and costing the Browns the win, he went to Arizona State. It’s one thing to have the city of Cleveland ripping into you, but when Lebron James is coming at you publicly, that is not good for anyone.
- Michael Thomas now leads the league in catches with 28 and 2nd in Yards and TDs early on.
- Alvin Kamara had a quiet day with only 46 yards rushing and 53 yards receiving and zero TDs.
- The Browns were winning 18-3 going into the 4th quarter then the Saints rattled off 18 in the 4th quarter to secure the win and shutting down any hope of a much-anticipated win for the Browns.
Let’s talk about the new QB everyone should know by now. If you don’t know who Patrick Mahomes is by now then you should just stop pretending to be a football fan. The Chiefs ditched Alex Smith for Pat Mahomes. Who is very opposite from Smith because he isn’t afraid to throw the ball down the field. Mahomes has 10 TDs and 0 Interceptions in his first two starts against the Chargers and Steelers, two teams that are picked to be in the playoffs.
- Even though Mahomes stole the show, Big Ben showed up as well throwing for 452 yards with 3 TDs and 0 Interceptions.
- After being shut down in Week 1, Travis Kelce showed up against the Steelers D with 7 grabs, over 100 yards receiving and 2 TDs.
- Tyreek Hill came out again but not as strong as Week 1. Hill only had 5 catches for 90 yards and 1 TD.
- Sammy Watkins had his coming out party. He had 100 yards receiving as well.
- JuJu Smith-Schuster also had 13 catches for 121 yards and a TD. Brown had 9 grabs for 96 yards. James Conner who is replacing all-pro Le’veone Bell had only 17 rushing yards and 1 TD because they were behind all game and Ben had to throw it more. He did contribute 5 catches for 48 yards.
Jon Gruden and his money-filled pockets is still searching for his first win. Gruden has dug himself into a ‘black hole’ after 2 weeks. Week 1 he had the Raiders locker room believing they can beat the Rams after the first half. Unfortunately for Gruden and the Raiders, you have to play two halves. The Raiders were winning most of this past game, Case Keenum led a very mediocre 4th quarter drive to get into FG range late in the game setting up a game-winning Field Goal for Brandon McManus. Gruden still says he has no regrets about trading away their best player Khalil Mack. Mack would have been very useful on that final drive. If you question how big of an impact Mack has on a defense just watch the Bears defense on Monday Night.
- Broncos Wide Receiver Demaryius Thomas career numbers have declined for the past 3 seasons. In 2014, Thomas had over 1,600 yards receiving and 11 TDs. While still playing with Peyton Manning, Thomas had 1300 yards in 2015 with only 6 TDs. Thomas barely clipped the 1,000 yard mark in 2016 with only 5 TDs. In 2017, Thomas only had 949 yards and 5 TDs. Very bad trend for Demaryius Thomas. It is clearly Emmanuel Sanders has better chemistry early on with newly acquired free-agent QB, Keenum.
In the Bears/Seahawks showdown on Monday night, there was tons of defense. If you like defense you’d like this one. Defense does win championships after all. On a night that the Bears celebrated hall of fame LB Brian Urlacher it’s only fitting that defense would steal the show tonight in his honor. Khalil Mack looks to be on a mission to show Jon Gruden what he let get away.
Other Notable News:
- Bill Belichick and the Patriots have once again made a major splash by trading for Josh Gordon, once his contract ends at the local rehab clinic. Belichick has done this time and time again with high-profile players. One ‘puff’ and he is out, that is another guarantee.
- Fitzpatrick and Mahomes joined Drew Bledsoe has the only two QBs to start the season throwing at least 4 TD passes in the teams first two games.
- Frank Gore passed Curtis Martin to become the 4th all-time leading rusher in NFL history.
- The NFL did something good. They donated $1 million to the Hurricane relief efforts in the Carolinas.
- 1st year coaches are now 2-11 this season. The Titans (Mike Vrabel) and Colts (Frank Reich) won in Week 2.
- Michael Thomas 28 catches are an NFL Record for a WR in the first 2 weeks of the season.